House Appropriations Subcommittee Chairs Announced
SUFFOLK, VA – Today incoming Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee S. Chris Jones (R-Suffolk) announced the appointment of House Appropriations Subcommittee Chairs for the 2014 Session.
In an effort to streamline and improve the efficiency of the committee structure, the number of subcommittees is being reduced from ten to eight.
“Reducing the number of subcommittees will minimize conflicts in scheduling meetings and better utilize the Committee staff’s time in terms of budget preparation,” said Jones. “Crafting the state budget is a monumental task and this adjustment will help improve that process.”
“In selecting Chairs for these eight subcommittees, my objectives were to honor seniority and individual strengths within subject areas,” Jones added. “We have a lot to do to prepare for a new Governor, a new two-year budget and six new committee members. Appointing these Chairs now will allow the Appropriations Committee to get straight to work when the session begins on January 8, 2014. I want to thank these members in advance for their dedication and hard work.”
Below are the Subcommittee Chair assignments:
- Higher Education – Majority Leader Kirk Cox (R-Colonial Heights)
- Health and Human Resources – Delegate Riley Ingram (R-Chesterfield)
- General Government and Capital Outlay – Delegate John O’Bannon (R-Henrico)
- Public Safety – Delegate Scott Lingamfelter (R-Prince William)
- Compensation and Retirement – Delegate Charles Poindexter (R-Franklin)
- Elementary Education – Jimmie Massie (R-Henrico)
- Agriculture, Commerce, Technology, and Natural Resources – Delegate Ed Scott (R-Culpeper)
- Transportation – Chris Peace (R-Hanover)