Part-time animal control officer vacancy
The position of part-time Animal Control Officer with the New Kent Sheriff’s Office is a sworn, uniformed and armed position. The successful applicant will be required to attend and successfully complete a basic animal control academy. Animal Control Officers are charged with enforcing laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and local ordinances pertaining to animal regulations. The position may require occasionally lifting in excess of fifty pounds. Animal Control Officer may be required to spend several hours of their assigned shift at the animal shelter attending to the welfare of animals in the Sheriff’s custody. The position also requires officers to patrol the county in a sheriff’s office vehicle to answer calls-for-service relating to animal calls.
This position is considered part time and as needed. Occasional paid on-call time may also be required.
Hiring process closes:
April 12, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
J. Hamby (804-966-9519 or [email protected])
Skills associated with the position:
- Feed or water animals
- Capture animals for control, identification, relocation, sale or humane purposes
- Conduct training for personnel
- Prepare reports
- Use first aid procedures
- Examine animals to detect illness, disease, or injury
- Euthanize injured or diseased animal if necessary
- Recognize disease or parasites in animals
- Use knowledge of investigation techniques
- Conduct legal searches or investigations
- Issue citation or warning for violation of laws
- Communicate details in protective services settings
- Enforce laws, ordinances, or regulations
- Investigate complaints, disturbances, or violations
- Operate vehicles in law enforcement or security setting
- Serve or issue summonses or subpoenas
- Examine permits or licenses to ensure compliance with requirements
- Recognize public safety hazards
- Handle animals
- Read maps
- Drug Testing/Screening
- Background Checks
- Credit Checks
- Reference Checks
- Motor Vehicle Record Check
- Polygraph Exam
- Psychological Assessment
- Police Officer Selection Testing
- High School Diploma/GED
- Valid Driver’s License
- Step 1: Submission of a New Kent Sheriff’s Office Application only
Go to the New Kent Sheriffs web page: http://www.co.new-kent.va.us/index.aspx?NID=335. At the bottom of the Career Opportunities page, click the application hyperlink and it will take you to our online application.
- Step 2: Once we receive your application we will invite qualified applicants to take the Police Officer Selection Test (POST)
- Step 3: Those who successfully pass the POST exam may be invited to several interview panels. This panels consists of the unit supervisor, animal control officer(s) and the office’s administrative Lieutenant, the commander of the affected section, and the Chief Deputy Sheriff, and Ultimately the Sheriff.
- Step 4: If the Sheriff determines that the applicant proceeds further, the applicant may be provided with a background packet to complete. The applicant will then be scheduled to take a polygraph examination, psychological assessment, and medical physical.
- Step 5: Successful applicants may at this point be given an offer of employment by the Sheriff.