Prince William County Sheriff Glendell Hill is pleased to announce the awarding of $1,000 scholarships to five local college students on June 23, 2017. The recipients, among their close family members, were recognized for their academic achievements and commitment to pursuing a college education in the criminal justice field. During the presentation, Sheriff Hill spoke to the recipients about staying away from people who can hinder their future and remaining focused on their education. Sheriff Hill stated, “I encourage VSI scholarship recipients to always do their very best in school because they represent their families and their communities.”
The scholarships were provided to the students through the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute (VSI). The VSI Scholarship program was created to provide an opportunity for young people across the state of Virginia to receive financial assistance in their pursuit of an education in the criminal justice field attending Virginia colleges and universities. The scholarship program would not exist without the financial support of local citizens and businesses who are associate members of VSI.
The sheriff’s office collaborates with local high school guidance counselors to encourage local high school students to apply for the scholarship starting in February of each year. Students can re-apply for the scholarship while they are in college to continue receiving awards throughout their college years. This year, the VSI awarded 78 scholarships to students throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Prince William County Sheriff’s Office received five of those scholarships.
The scholarship recipients include:
- Zachary N. Adams of Forest Park H.S. (2014) is attending Longwood University
- Matthew D. Critchley of Forest Park H.S. (2015) is attending Virginia Commonwealth University
- David C. Frank of Woodbridge H.S. (2016) is attending Longwood University
- Damon S. Johnson of Battlefield H.S. (2015) is attending Old Dominion University
- Charles A. Shelley of Hayfield Secondary H.S. (2011) is attending George Mason University