Riverside Regional Jail Authority – Jail Superintendent Recruitment
Prince George, Virginia, ACA accredited Riverside Regional Jail Authority (RRJA), is seeking a strategic and experienced leader to manage a 1,500 bed adult detention facility serving the seven member localities of Charles City County, Chesterfield County, Prince George County, Surry County, City of Colonial Heights, City of Hopewell and City of Petersburg. The candidate will have significant experience and knowledge in the areas of security, rules, regulations and procedures of a jail facility as well as comprehensive knowledge of modern penology as it relates to the supervision and care of persons under institutionalized restraint.
The RRJA Jail Superintendent will:
- Provide strategic vision and forward-focused leadership to a dynamic, regionally governed organization.
- Plan, organize, direct, monitor and coordinate all programs and activities of an adult detention facility, in compliance with applicable rules, regulations and accreditation standards.
- Lead a staff of 395 professionals effectively, including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities.
- Monitor all current regulations, new laws, precedent decisions and directives that may impact the jail operationally.
- Develop operational and capital budgets based on historical data and guidance from the Authority Board; continuously monitor the budget, and prepare appropriate reports including annual financial statements; and review requests for purchase of supplies and equipment to assure proper budget management and efficiencies.
- Study and evaluate enforcement activities and local court trends that may require adjustment in plans to provide the most effective utilization of the jail and staff.
- Evaluate management and operational problems encountered, and plan the course of remedial action; and oversee procedures for resolving inmate grievances.
- Enforce the policies and procedures of the facility, and prepare and recommend changes or modifications as needed.
Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in corrections, criminal justice, public administration, law enforcement or a related field; progressively responsible experience in jail management, including a minimum of five years in a senior leadership capacity at the Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent level in a comparably-sized facility; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
For more detailed information, please review the position recruitment profile at RRJA Jail Superintendent Recruitment.
An extensive background check and pre-employment drug test are required.
The recruitment will remain open until January 31, 2019, at 5 p.m. Interested applicants should submit a confidential resume with cover letter and salary requirements to:
Mary Martin Selby, Director of Human Resources
Chesterfield County Human Resources
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Email: [email protected]
Please note that recruitment will begin January 3, 2019. A confidential resume with cover letter and salary requirements should be emailed to [email protected] by 5pm on January 31, 2019.
Riverside Regional Jail is an Equal Opportunity Employer