Getting to Know Your Virginia Sheriffs
Beginning today, we plan to highlight one VSA member sheriff per month, in order for our members and supporters in Virginia to get to know these outstanding and courageous law enforcement officials. These men and women have dedicated their lives to serving their communities and the Commonwealth, to ensure safety and justice to all of us in Virginia. If you see these sheriffs that we are highlighting or your own sheriff, be sure to thank them and maybe ask them more about themselves.
We’ve asked them a series of questions about a wide range of topics to allow us to enter a bit into their lives, but they, like us all, are more than a series of questions that we could ask them.
So without further ado, let us introduce you to our first participant in our “Getting to Know Your Virginia Sheriffs,” Alleghany County – Covington Sheriff Kevin W. Hall.
GETTING TO KNOW: ALLEGHANY COUNTY – COVINGTON SHERIFF KEVIN W. HALL
- What are you working on that’s new and different?
- A daytime reporting work program as an alternative to incarceration to reduce jail overcrowding
- What do you like the most about your job?
- Being able to help others in their time of need.
- Who have been mentors and/or role models in your life/career?
- 1st Sgt. Frank Proffitt, Sgt. Kenny Lane, Chiefs Jack Thurston, J.B. Broughman and Jeff Brown. Also, my high school baseball coach Gary Rice.
- What do you enjoy doing in your time away from work?
- I enjoy coaching high school football and baseball and camping outside of work hours.
- What are some of your favorite songs on your music playlist?
- Disco music such as “Oh What a Night”, “Ain’t No Stopping us Now”, and any Michael Jackson song.
- What is your favorite book?
- I don’t have time to read a book.
- What sports/teams do you root for?
- Dallas Cowboys, JMU
- What drew you to law enforcement?
- My Grandfather was friends with Trooper Crush who made a positive impression on me when I was young.
- What did you do before elected to the office of sheriff?
- I worked for 22 years at Covington Police Department where I was a patrol officer, patrol sergeant, DARE officer, narcotics detective, SRO and left while being detective sergeant of criminal investigations.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- The ability to heal people with drug & alcohol addiction. I’ve seen really great and talented people lose so much of what they’ve worked for over those diseases.
- If you could visit any place in the world, what would it be?
- What are you most proud of?
- Traveling with my son & Governor Northam to six medical schools around the state of Virginia talking to the students about what they can do to prevent opioid abuse and addiction.
- What’s your favorite movie genre?
- What character do you most admire in others?
Sheriff Hall’s Bio:
Sheriff Kevin W. Hall, Sheriff of Alleghany County – Covington, has been in that office since January 1st, 2008. He was previously with the Covington Police Department for 22 years where he was a patrol office, patrol sergeant, DARE office, narcotics detective, SRO and detective sergeant of criminal investigations. He serves on the Virginia e-911 board and the Governor’s Commission on Opioids and Addiction.