For the month of February, we are excited to introduce to you Lunenburg County Sheriff Arthur Townsend. Sheriff Townsend has served as the sheriff of Lunenburg County since 2006, and has been working in law enforcement for the county since 1985.
When asked what superpower he would love to have if he could, Sheriff Townsend replied, “I would want to have the power to change mindsets– to keep the peace.”
If you’ve missed previous introductions of our Virginia Sheriffs, links to these posts may be found at the bottom of this page. We hope you will come to know and appreciate these individuals as much as we do! Our Sheriff introductions may also be found on our Facebook page, along with other interesting news items about our member sheriffs!
Get to Know Your Virginia Sheriffs – Lunenburg County Sheriff Arthur Townsend Jr.
- What are you working on that’s new and different?
The Lunenburg County Sheriff’s Office will be accredited in the near future.
- What do you like most about your job?
I like that I am able to serve the public every day as sheriff.
- Who have been mentors and/or role models in your life/career?
I look up to my parents, my pastor, and my wife.
- What do you enjoy doing in your time away from work?
I love to go hunting, fishing, camping, bowling, and jet skiing. But most importantly, I love to spend time with my family.
- What are some of your favorite songs on your music playlist?
I mostly listen to gospel songs, such as “I Need You to Survive” and “Jesus is Real.”
- What is your favorite book?
The Bible is my favorite book.
- What sports/teams do you root for?
The Seattle Sea Hawks are my favorite team.
- What drew you to law enforcement?
I was drawn to law enforcement because of a desire to serve the public.
- What did you do before being elected to the office of sheriff?
Prior to being elected, I was a town policeman and deputy.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
I would want to have the power to change mindsets- to keep the peace.
- If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be?
I would love to travel to Italy.
- What are you most proud of?
I am most proud of my family.
- What’s your favorite movie genre?
I like watching action and drama films, as well as documentaries
- What character do you most admire in others?
Honesty is the character trait I admire most.
Sheriff Arthur Townsend Biography
Arthur Townsend Jr. worked as a policeman in the Town of Kenbridge from 1982-1985 before beginning his service in Lunenburg County as a deputy. After fulfilling this role from 1985-2006, Arthur Townsend was elected to serve as the sheriff of Lunenburg County in 2006, where he has been since. Sheriff Arthur Townsend has two children with his wife, Rosa Townsend. They have three grandchildren.
Getting to Know Your Virginia Sheriffs Archives
May 2019 – Alleghany County Sheriff Kevin Hall
June 2019 – Northampton County Sheriff David Doughty
July 2019 – Chesterfield County Sheriff Karl S. Leonard
August 2019 – Loudoun County Sheriff Mike Chapman
September 2019 – Frederick County Sheriff Lenny Millholland
October 2019 – Fairfax County Sheriff Stacey Kincaid
November 2019 – City of Richmond Sheriff Dr. Antionette Irving
December 2019 – City of Salem Sheriff April Staton
January 2020 – City of Hampton Sheriff B.J. Roberts